Saturday, June 12, 2010

Tonight's the Night!



Hope to see you all at the
of the Universe
@ 701 B Ave.
tonight at 6:30
OTD.

Often there are cookies, but what you want to come for is to hear brilliant, charming and smarty-pantsed poems like the one below, which Magan Chappell, who may or may not have tripped her way to the podium, wrote just for you--really. (And for Dr. Morris)



My Own Fear

by Magan Chappell

First let me apologize.
You see, I have this stupid fear.
And with the way my voice is shaking right now,
I’m sure you know it’s because I’m standing…..up here.

Some people call it topophobia,
Stage fright or a fear of public situations.
Others call it social phobia,
A fear of socially negative evaluations.

Glassophobia fits well too,
A fear of speaking in a public setting.
Not too hard to explain right now,
Considering how much my palms are sweating.

I’m proud that I didn’t trip coming up the steps,
Although I wouldn’t have been surprised.
However, since I wrote this poem before tonight, if I DID trip,
Just overlook it because I didn’t have a chance to revise.

I know my cheeks are beet red,
I’m sure my face is really glowing.
Trust me, it’s not from being pregnant,
Or the fact that my baby bump is showing.

My stomach is turning circles, my mouth is dry,
And unless I am mistaking,
We’re all thankful that this podium is here
Or you’d certainly see my knees shaking.

My heart is pounding in my chest.
The anxiety is quite intense.
Thank goodness my tongue didn’t swell
The embarrassment sure would be immense.

Forgive me if I seem a bit flustered,
But rest assured, I don’t think I’m gonna pass out.
Especially since I’m coming close to the end,
And I’m starting to feel a little better now.

I had to do this reading for my poetry class.
I’m not really sure if it’s for a grade.
But juuuuuust in case it is,
Is it worthy of an “A”?????



No comments: