Thursday, June 17, 2010

David Pilon Writes About The Oklahoma Review


In the spring semester of 2010, I was enrolled in a class at Cameron University listed as Online Magazine Editing. It wasn’t really exactly what I had expected or what it might sound like to some. The class was also my introduction to The Oklahoma Review, a publication I wish I had known about sooner.

The Oklahoma Review is an international online magazine published twice each year through the
English Department at Cameron. Its Editor in Chief and the professor in charge of the class that publishes it is Dr. John Hodgson. For those who don’t know Dr. Hodgson, he can seem intimidating at first with his booming voice of authority, and it’s also not a great idea to smart off to him or shirk on assignments (both of which I’ve sometimes done in the past). However, it was actually fun working for him, and I learned a lot from the experience.




I was also impressed both by the volume and the quality of work the magazine receives. Being in the class also means being on the staff, and my main task as such was working as a student reader, reading through and evaluating poems, short stories, and works of creative nonfiction. I read some great pieces (and honestly, some not-so-great ones as well), and I got to openly discuss them with my peers. Out of the works published in the spring issue, I was particularly fond of the short story “The Statue at the Café Ephemera,” by Robert Kaye.

As a Creative Writing major, a writer, and someone who is looking towards pursuing an MFA and probably going on to be a college instructor, what I gained most from working on the magazine was learning more about the submission and publication processes, as well as building better communication skills in regards to writing and literature and a better understanding of what is considered quality, contemporary literature.




The spring 2010 issue of The Oklahoma Review turned out really good, and I enjoyed helping to create it. I liked reading the poems and the one work of fiction published in this issue, and I would recommend the magazine to anyone who values quality literature, as well as recommending the magazine editing class at Cameron to anyone who is interested.


David Pilon is a senior Creative Writing student at Cameron University. He is also the newly elected Vice President of the Cameron chapter of Sigma Tau Delta. He has been a reader for both The Oklahoma Review and The Gold Mine Literary & Fine Arts Journal. His poetry was nominated for the John G. Morris Poetry Prize the past two years.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good to see The Oklahoma Review is still alive and kicking!

The Spring 2010 issue is superb, by the way. Congratulations to all who made it a success.

Cheers,
Mark Coates
Review Editor 2000