Friday, June 11, 2010

Sam McMichael Presents at The Spirit of Oklahoma Storytelling Festival in Seminole, OK



Sam McMichael was one of the featured storytellers at the Spirit of Oklahoma Storytelling Festival in Seminole, OK on June 4th and 5th. At least fifty or sixty men and women told stories over two days representing every region of the state. Sam was one of the most respected and admired tellers. People wanted to say hello, shake his hand, and ask for help. He led a workshop on finding voice and the classroom at Seminole State College was packed. His fans were ready to partake in his knowledge. The workshop itself was well planned and Sam even kept the crowd happy with some storytelling.
The Territory Tellers hosted the event. Tellers from other states also came to reunite and tell particularly Oklahoman tales. For a new guy to Oklahoma like me, it was exciting to be in the middle of all these Oklahoman artists who so obviously love their place and the people who comprise it.

Among some of the people and things I was luckily introduced to in the two days:

46th Star Press run by Pam Bracken, who has committed her free time to publishing and advertising books by Oklahomans or about Oklahoma. Her 10-year old daughter was recruited, with a commission on each book she sold. Her husband designs the website, at least, and I believe does much, much more. (We will feature then on our blog later in the summer.)

Teller Eldrena Douma, who grew up on the Laguna Peublo reservation in New Mexico and the Hopi reservation in Arizona. She lived in Lawton and told these sweet, incredibly identifiable stories about looking for others who share our world view, so that we know we're not alone on the planet.

The fanfare surrounding our friend, Sam McMichael. He will say I am being silly, but it was clear that he is respected for his craft. He is good at engaging an audience in a story about his own life. I know the difference between a fake laugh and a sincere one, and his featured story was full of from-the-gut belly laughs. He is also such a great representative for southwestern Oklahoma and for rural life in general. Walking around the festival with Sam made me think of the expression, "I'm with the band."

I told a story! It was exhilarating; I was nervous. I botched it over and over, but I got a laugh or two. And I finished without falling over. I am ready to try again.


No comments: